Last Updated on by
Figuring out what your dog’s dietary needs are at each stage of growth is more than rocket science for some people, but Iams Puppy Food has already figured it out that for you so you don’t have to do trial after trial to see what works and what doesn’t.
From the energetic and feisty Yorkshire Terrier to the loyal and friendly lab, this Iams Puppy Food Review presents the best food to cater for your dog’s dietary needs regardless of its breed, age, or size.
Numbers don’t lie. Every Iams puppy food product has an endless stream of positive client’s testimonials. Surprised? You shouldn’t be because Iams as a brand innovates and engineers puppy food products for maximum pup growth and health. With a wide variety of food options for both large and small pups, you’ll have no shortage of choices.
- Top 7 Iams Puppy Food Reviews
- Iams Proactive Health Smart Puppy
- Iams Proactive Health Puppy with Chicken and Rice PATE
- Iams Proactive Health Smart Puppy Large Breed
- Iams Proactive Health Grain-Free Dry Dog Food Recipe with Real Chicken and Peas
- Iams Proactive Health Lamb & Rice Recipe
- Iams Sensitive Naturals Adult Ocean Fish + Rice Recipe
- Iams Proactive Health Smart Puppy Small and Toy Breed
- Iams Food Company Overview
- Why Iams is the best Puppy food
- Final Thoughts
Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy is the best puppy food overall in our review. It is a delicious dry food formula with DHA from natural fish oils to promote good brain development and antioxidants for a strong immune system. Its crunchy texture helps to keep their teeth clean and healthy.
Top 7 Iams Puppy Food Reviews
Iams puppy food reviews are plentiful because the company offers a diverse collection of puppy food products. Some of the leading puppy foods from the brand include the following products.
You don’t need to read customer testimonials from an Iams puppy food review to know this is the best-selling Iams puppy food. It has a high concentration of nutrients, high-quality protein, and prebiotics to fuel your little champ’s healthy development.
- Contains Omega-3 DHA that is essential for smarter dogs and training
- Has essential minerals good for strong bones
- Packed with antioxidants for a better immune system
- Contains lean protein sourced from egg and chicken for stronger muscles
I absolutely love this puppy food because it is easy on my pup’s digestive system. Also, it has far more protein and fat concentration with fewer carbohydrates. Antioxidants added to the formula promote a healthy immune system. With the added beetroot, I wouldn’t expect any problems absorbing all the nutrients.
The only problem I have is that this is a not a grain-free formula as it includes corn in the ingredients. However, it’s not such a deal-breaker.
- Improves cognitive function from the DHA
- 28.5 percent protein that comes from real chicken
- It has a healthy dose of antioxidants sourced from blueberries, peas, carrots, and spinach for a vibrant pup development
- Low fat content at 17 percent great for growth as well as energy
- Has a 2 percent calcium content that is ideal for bone development and is balanced by phosphorous
- It is not a zero-grain puppy food as it contains corn
Iams Proactive Health Smart Puppy is a healthy protein and vitamin-packed puppy food that promotes both healthy development and a great immune system.
Overall Score: 4/5
This is a hearty wet puppy food that packs a home-cooked meal taste. It is made entirely of natural ingredients, such as rice and chicken in a tasty broth that puppies can’t resist. While likely not affordable for a primary feed for large breeds, these make a yummy wholesome treat with vitamins for all pups.
- High-quality animal proteins, minerals, and vitamins
- Natural and well-balanced wholesome ingredients
- Omega-3 fatty acids for healthy skin and fur
- High moisture content
My puppies just love their Iams Wet Puppy food because it is packed with nutrients from natural ingredients. Shortly after I started using it, I noticed how great their fur looked as a result of the Vitamins E and the amino acids.
- High energy from the 9 percent protein and 8 percent fat
- Great for small puppies
- Has a healthy dose of yam that is rich in thiamin, manganese, and potassium
- Easy to mix with dry kibble, like some of those in our Iams puppy food review, on 1:1 ratio
- Rich in omega 3 and 6 which, together with Vitamin E, encourage a shiny and beautiful coat
- It has unclear meat and chicken by-products
My puppies ate every last bit of the Iams Proactive Health Puppy with Chicken and Rice PATE in their bowls. Each bowl was packed with high energy and a well-balanced broth of natural goodness that left them in high spirits.
I wish these had more meat and chicken rather than their by-products.
Overall Score: 3.6
Iams Smart Puppy Large Breed encourages optimal growth with balanced nutrition, specially engineered for large-breed puppies. It contains DHA for healthy brain development and the best start possible.
- Made with real chicken
- Wholesome grains
- Beet pulp
- Omega-3 DHA
- Targeted calcium
- Rich antioxidants
Iams Smart Puppy Large Breed is a fantastic mix of wholesome grains (corn and sorghum), real chicken, chicken by-products, eggs, beet, and vitamins that accelerate the growth of your large breed pup. If you’re looking for a nutritional puppy food that has the potential to give your puppy a great start, strong bones and great coat of fur, this formula is a great place to start.
With its omega-3 rich formula, it promotes pup brain development from an early age. It also supplies your pup with energy to play and grow thanks to an improved and well-balanced diet. The antioxidants found in this food has enabled my dogs to build a robust immune system, but what really stands out is the fiber-rich diet that has helped my dog have more regular bathroom breaks.
If your dog has grain allergies, though, this might not be the best for your dog as it contains cornmeal.
- Makes puppies clever as a result of the DHA
- Has green peas, an alternate lean protein source
- High energy diet with 14 percent fat and 26 percent protein
- Promotes a full and healthy coat with Vitamin E
- Keeps teeth clean and tartar-free with its crunchy texture
- Not suitable for puppies allergic to grain
This is a healthy puppy food that all large breed puppies will love. It is easily digested and promotes faster growth, with improved immunity and a shiny coat.
Overall Score: 4/5
This is a zero-grain, healthy, chicken-and-peas stuffed dog food that’s suitable for puppies with sensitivities. It is a specially-formulated healthy mix of high-quality protein and vegetables designed to give your best friend a long and healthy life. Infused with mineral and vitamins, the food’s formula ensures your dog develops strong muscles and bones.
- Made from farm-raised chickens
- No wheat, soy, or corn
- Fiber-rich and natural prebiotics
- Omega 6 and 3
Iams Proactive Health Zero-Grain food is an excellent choice for puppies that are sensitive to grains. Being a fiber-rich food with natural prebiotics, it ensures your pups absorbs more and poops less. Peas supplement the chicken protein for a healthy and energetic puppy.
There isn’t much not to like about this puppy food, beyond it being a little pricey.
- No artificial flavors and colors
- Has zero-grains
- Highly digestible as a result of the fibers prebiotics
- High protein content at 25 percent from chicken, eggs, and peas
- Rich in antioxidants from all the vegetables
Iams wet puppy food might be a good alternative for puppies with grain allergies. It is packed with essential vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fats, and proteins for a strong and well-developed puppy.
Overall Score: 4.2
Real lamb goodness packed into every bag of Iams Proactive Health Lamb and Rice Recipe in addition to other nutritious ingredients that promote the growth of your dog and a lovely coat to boot. Recommended by veterinarians, this is one meal your puppies will enjoy.
- Made with real lamb
- Brewers and beet pulp for fiber
- Wholesome barley and sorghum
- Vitamins and amino acids for great skin
This is a real treat for dogs that love real lamb. This is a recipe sure to have your puppy lick the bowl. It is made of natural ingredients packed with proteins, amino acids, fats, carbs, essential minerals, and vitamins for proper growth and development.
One thing to note, though, is that this product is not recommended for very young puppies. It is intended for pups over one year in age.
- Has no artificial flavors and colors
- Promotes a healthy metabolism from the L-carnitine vitamin
- Easily digested as a result of the fibers
- Uses real lamb
- Has seven essential minerals good for the heart
- Has cornmeal
Dogs have a love affair with lamb, so this food might be a good choice if you want to treat your grown puppies with a healthy dose of lamp mixed with wholesome ingredients and essential minerals and vitamins good for their skin and growth.
Overall Score: 4.1/5
Not all dogs love chicken, but they’ll surely love Iams Sensitive Naturals as it is a specially formulated meal. It’s made out of real ocean fish, brewer’s rice, wholesome sorghum, and a host of other tasty treats. If your puppy is having itching problems, it might be time to make a switch to Iams Sensitive Naturals.
- Made with real ocean fish
- No corn, chicken by-product meal, or soy
- Includes fruits and vegetables
- Enhanced with a vitamin and antioxidant blend
I like this ocean and rice recipe because it is easy on my dog’s tummy. It has a high fiber content that makes digestion easier. I noticed my dog had smaller poops after trying this one out.
If your dog gets rashes and itchy skin from the chicken and corn from other meals, this will clear that up in no time.
- Has a 23 percent protein and 13 percent protein essential for growth and play
- Improves skin and fur with omega 6, omega 3, and vitamin E
- Stops itching and skin rashes on sensitive dogs
- Doesn’t have corn, chicken by-products, or soy
This is a great and nutritious alternative for dog’s sensitive to corn and chicken. It’s specially formulated to stop itching and rashes on sensitive dogs in addition to the wholesome and natural ingredients packed into it.
Overall Score: 4.1
Iams small and toy breed puppy food is a unique formulation for the little guys. It is fortified with vitamins and essential minerals that promote strong bones and high energy natural chicken protein for strong muscles. Recommended by veterinarians, is it is the ultimate starter pack for small breed puppies as it ensures steady growth and development.
- Has Omega-3 DHA that makes your puppies smarter and trainable
- Fortified with essential minerals to help build strong bones
- Contains antioxidants that help develop a strong immunity
- Protein sourced from chicken and egg
Iams puppy small and toy is formulated for pups with smaller kibble sizes as they are easy to chew. Each pack is a blended of natural veggies, real chicken, and a healthy dose of vitamins and mineral that makes your puppies playful and energetic.
- Has fish oil DHA great for brain development
- Rich in antioxidants from veggies like spinach, peas, blueberries, and flaxseed
- Has simple instructions, no need for brain-racking math
- Has 453 kcal/cup great for energetic little puppies
- Not grain free as it contains corn
Have a small breed puppy? This is a great puppy food specially designed for them. Its calcium-rich formula builds strong bones while the proteins and fats contribute to strong muscles.
Overall Score: 4.1/5
Iams Food Company Overview
Based in Ohio, Iams is part of the larger Mars Inc that started production in 1946. Since then, it has continued to churn out innovate and healthy pet food solutions. They have a range of dog food tailored to specific ages, dog breeds, and dog sizes.
Their wet and dry puppy food is commonly used by many dog owners from professional breeders to your typical pet owners because it contains real animal protein. Plus, they’re readily available in your local vets’ clinic and neighborhood stores as well as internationally when you travel.
Why Iams is the best Puppy food
All their puppy recipes incorporate DHA which puppies naturally get from suckling their moms. The brand also offers a lot of choices to clients with different foods designed for different puppy requirements. Unlike other companies, they use natural ingredients with no artificial flavors and additives.
Should My Puppy Food have Vegetables in It?
Vegetables are an excellent source of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that are great for your puppy’s immunity, metabolism, and skin. That’s why Iams includes them in their nutritious puppy foods.
Why does my puppy food say real meat?
Meat is an excellent source of protein for your puppies, helping them grow strong and fast. While other food producers use other types of meats and meat by-products, Iams uses real meat in all their puppy foods. In case your pup has allergies, you might want to supplement real meat with it the hydrolyzed soy protein.
Iams puppy food is a great choice for a well-developed and healthy puppy. It packs all the nutrients in an easy-to-measure recipe that promotes the growth of your puppy. Its innovative approach to producing puppy food has allowed them to come up with many options for the caring dog owner depending on size, age, weight, and even breed.
If you want to try out this brand, start with the Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy which is one of their best selling puppy food formulas. This dry food formula is developed to promote healthy brain development, a strong heart, and healthy teeth bones in young puppies.
Looking for ideal foods for your American Bully? Your search ends here!