Unless your dog has been having dirt baths or rolling in foul-smelling things, her coat will be clean and shiny.
Otherwise, you will need the dog shampoo for dry itchy skin to ensure that she is always clean and free of itchy, dry, scaly, and infected skin.
Giving your dog regular shampoo baths is the best way to keep her skin from getting too dry. The shampoo for a flaky skin usually contains oatmeal.
The choice of shampoo for dry itchy skin is huge in today’s market. You can only find the perfect product if you know exactly what you are looking for.
Our Top Pick
Our top pick is the Colloidal Oatmeal Dog Shampoo. Colloidal Oatmeal is an excellent formula that is not only non-toxic but also gentle on dry itchy sensitive skin. This is the ideal shampoo to use especially in the summer when your pooch is itchy. You will notice how exceptional the scratching and itching will decrease after a few baths.
Here are some other great options:
- Rocco & Roxie Dog Shampoo
- Professional All-In-One Natural Dog Shampoo
- Friends Forever Natural Dog Shampoo
- Paws & Pals Dog Shampoo
Top 5 Dog Shampoos for Dry Itchy Skin Reviewed
This is a clinical formula that is formulated from pure ingredients, which bring back essential oils and tackle skin irritants. This shampoo has extra strength for odor removal and cleansing.
This cleanser is made to be extremely soothing and hypoallergenic for your puppy’s flaky skin. It is enriched with lavender natural oil for extra calming.
Do you have a smelly hound? If so, then you need the Colloidal Oatmeal Dog Shampoo. The refreshing lavender fragrance will last for a remarkably long time.
- Made of all natural and medicated ingredients
- Lavender oil has a homeopathic effect, making it stress-free to bathe your dog
- It is safer and more effective for dry itchy skin
- Ideal for gentle pet grooming
- May cause the fur to dry excessively on some dogs
If you consider good value for money, then the Rocco & Roxie Dog Shampoo is the best selection. It is a popular choice for over two hundred dog parents.
The formula consists of the following ingredients: Shea butter (rich in vitamins A & F); aloe (attracts and seals moisture); olive oil (protects and nourishes the fur); and oatmeal (attracts and seals moisture).
You will not find the following in this formula: phosphates, parabens, alcohols, dyes, or artificial colors. So, this shampoo is formulated for sensitive and dry itchy skin.
What we love most about Rocco & Roxie is that they have three separate flavors for your dog: soothe, calm, and shine.
Washing your pooch has to be fun, and that’s exactly what this shampoo offers. The cleanser is super-easy to bathe in and rinse. It is also easy to towel dry.
- Natural ingredients: Shea butter, aloe, olive oil, and oatmeal
- It cleanses, hydrates, and heals flaky skin
- No masking dyes, phosphates, parabens, alcohols, or artificial colors
- Suitable for a whole-body shake and towel dry
- The bottle does not have a pump
- May require a lot of scrubbing
If you are looking for dog shampoo at an affordable price, consider this all-in-one natural shampoo.
It is formulated from natural elements specifically designed for itchy, dry, sensitive skin. It is naturally derived from aloe, oatmeal, palm, and coconut.
This is a plant-based, mild formulation that cleans, detangles, deodorizes, moisturizes, and conditions. The result is a creamy, dense foam that gently lifts filth from your dog’s coat.
This formulation also conditions and at the same disentangles the fur, leaving it fluffy and soft. It also moisturizes as well as seal in moistness to help hydrate the skin.
Is your pooch allergic to flea bites, food, or grass? This all-in-one complete care shampoo is an excellent solution. It will do an amazing job of soothing and calming the skin.
- Made of natural ingredients: aloe, oatmeal, palm, and coconut
- No parabens, sulfate, phosphate, DEA, or MEA
- Cleans, detangles, deodorizes, moisturizes, and conditions
- Produces a creamy, dense foam that lifts dirt easily off the fur
- Does a great job of hydrating the skin
- May cause itching on some dogs
Friends Forever offer an affordable shampoo solution for a dry itchy skin. Unlike conventional products, this amazing formulation will not cause irritation after a bath.
With unique and natural ingredients: aloe, oatmeal, coconut, and essential oils, Friends Forever does an amazing job of removing dirt and revitalizing your dog’s skin and fur.
Is your doggie allergic? Friends forever are the solution. It is hypoallergenic, antibacterial, and anti-fungal, which prevents allergies.
The shampoo uses coconut and oatmeal to restore moisture to the damaged, dry skin of your hound. The combination can also treat yeast infection and hot spots.
- Natural formulation is free of harmful chemicals
- Relief from yeast infection and hot spots
- It is dandruff free and tearless
- Offers superior conditioning for white dogs
- Hypoallergenic, antibacterial, and anti-fungal to prevent allergy
- May cause the coat of some breeds to dry up more
We conclude our list with Paws and Pals. It is one of the most resourceful natural dog shampoos for your companion.
This is a premium skin and coat treatment that provides your pooch with the finest cleanser without sacrificing quality, organic principles, or vegan.
This nourishing formula consists of oatmeal, an ingredient that helps to moisturize as well as soothe itchy and sensitive skin.
The presence of oatmeal also helps to alleviate symptoms of yeast infection, hot spots, and allergies. What is left after cleaning is a clean, deodorized, soften coat?
Unlike most formulas on the market, this one is dandruff free, soap-less, and tearless. It will not inflame or irritate your dog’s nose and eyes.
- Does a great job of cleaning and conditioning
- Oatmeal moisturizes the skin and alleviates allergy symptoms
- Brittle coats and relieves itching
- Long-lasting and fresh scent
- May leave your dog with dandruff
Things To Consider
Dog shampoo options for dry itchy skin are plentiful, but as far as finding a good natural effective shampoo goes, the options diminish quite a bit.
The problem with this is that a lot of our dogs have skin issues, and they have needs that are not being met by all of these brands.
When shopping for a dog shampoo for dry sensitive skin, you should choose a product that contains natural ingredients, such as honey, tea tree oil, vitamin E, Aloe Vera, and oatmeal.
Dog shampoos with natural ingredients are usually free of artificial preservatives and synthetic fragrances. Try to avoid shampoos with medications or pesticides.
Instead of using medicated shampoos to treat your dog’s skin condition, you should opt for products with natural elements that can perform the same function.
All natural shampoos for dry itchy skin do normally contain oatmeal for soothing or aloe Vera for reducing inflammation.
If your dog has very dry skin, shampoos with any of the following ingredients may prove to be useful: essential oils, essential fatty acids, coconut oil, vegetable oil, and olive oil.
It is important to select a shampoo that has a very mild scent. Usually, dogs identify humans and other dogs not primarily through their eyes but through scent with their nose.
So, if you wash your dog’s identity away with a strong smelling shampoo, she is going to lose her identity. And that is probably why some dogs get annoyed with bath time.
A great choice is to pick a fragrant that is purposeful, such as a shampoo incorporated with tea tree or citrus ingredients.
What about Puppies?
According to research, you can wash your puppy with regular dog shampoo for dry skin. However, you have to keep off medicated products because they are too strong for a pup.
If your puppy has pre-existing skin conditions, it is wise to consult your veterinarian for dry skin shampoo recommendations.
Normally, the best option for a puppy is a non-medicated puppy shampoo. Such a product is specifically made for the delicate skin of the little ones. They can contain lavender or oatmeal.
Never use human shampoo because they are composed of stronger pH balancing agents that are not favorable for a dog’s skin. Not to mention a puppy’s skin.
The shampoos we have covered in this guide are mainly effective for dry itchy skin. Anti-itch shampoos contain ingredients that help to soothe and not to irritate the skin.
These types of shampoos are normally referred to by veterinarians as medicated cleansers. The main objective of an anti-itch product is to alleviate any skin condition that causes the skin to dry.
New dog shampoos for dry itchy skin seem to perform more than one function. For example, you may come across a cleanser that is labeled as a shampoo and a conditioner.
Do not be confused. This type of product is capable of cleansing your dog’s dry skin, treat skin issues, and detangle the coat.
If your dog has an allergic dry itchy skin, you should consider a shampoo that contains anti-allergen ingredients. This cleaner will remove dander and hypersensitivity.
Bathing Tips You Should Consider
Some dogs are more cooperative than others during bathing. Here are a few tips to help you keep your resistant bather as calm as possible:
- Be gentle and speak to your pooch in a soft, reassuring tone.
- Gradually, fill the tub with lukewarm water, after you have placed your dog in it.
- Start by wetting and lathering your dog’s neck to trap fleas that may be trying to escape to the head.
- Gently shampoo the entire body and rinse.
- Shampoo a second time, then let her sit for five minutes before rinsing.
- While waiting, use a flea comb to get rid of any fleas that are still hanging on.
- Rinse her thoroughly with plain water.
- Use several towels to dry off your dog, and make sure she has a warm place to dry herself off completely.
- If you have a white-coated dog, you might want to give her dry shampoo of cornstarch or commercial dry dog shampoo between baths.
- Bath her once every month or two, unless she has a dry itchy skin, in which case weekly baths may be necessary.
Shampooing your dog with dry itchy skin not only plays an important role in keeping her skin moisturized, but it is important for the early detection of many health issues. Bathing her correctly will allow you to identify allergic skin irritations among other issues.
We strongly remind you to avoid using human shampoos on your pooch. Such products have stronger pH balancing agents that can easily damage your pooch’s skin or worsen an existing condition.
Always consider the age of your dog. Little dogs do well on formulas specifically designed for puppies.