I am going to let you in on a secret. I never used to like vacuum cleaners before we had two large dogs in my family.
I am more of a steam cleaner kind of a person. But I have always been curious about vacuum cleaners, especially ones that are classified as “pet hair erasers”.
In this Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Vacuum Review, I’m going to take you through everything about this product’s performance in pet hair removal.
- Presenting the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Vacuum
- Things to Consider Before Buying a Vacuum for Pet Hair Cleaning
- Final Thoughts
Presenting the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Vacuum
Pet Hair Eraser is a Bissell range composed of 3 models: the upright, the Lift-Off 2-in-1, and the cordless.
So, what is so special about this product range? Is it the suction channel technology? The specialized pet hair erasing tools? The cyclonic spooling technology? In my experience, there’s all that and more.
These vacuums are specifically made for erasing pet hair. It is engineered by pet parents for cat and dog parents.
Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Vacuum (1650A) is the older brother of Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Lift-Off Vacuum (2087).
Regardless of the major changes on the newer version, Bissell Pet Hair Eraser still rocks the market with its impressive tangle-free brush roll performance.
The Bissell 1650A is the perfect choice for getting rid of pet hair and other cleaning chores. But if you want more portability, you should consider the Bissell 2087 model because it detaches into a portable canister vacuum.
In this article, I’ll be doing a Bissell Pet Eraser Upright Vacuum review and tell you all about the 1650 in particular.
Features and Benefits
Here is my roundup of the most important product features that make the Bissell 1650A a great choice for pet parents.
Suction Channel Technology
Unlike ordinary vacuums, this machine generates direct suction for effective removal of dirt and fur. Strong edge-to-edge suction ensures you don’t miss a strand of hair.
It has a wide cleaning path width of 12 inches, allowing you to quickly and effectively tackle wide carpets, bare floors, low pile carpets, sealed hard floors, and stairs.
Cyclonic Spooling System
What I like about this technology is that it winds and traps fur and human hair for hands-free emptying of the dust container.
This ensures you don’t get exposed to allergens because the hair simply drops into the dustbin the moment the dust cap opens.
When human hair and pet fur wraps around the brush bar of traditional vacuum brushes, it slows them down. Therefore, the hair needs to be unwound or cut out.
The Bissell tangle-free brush is the only tool that erases fur without tangling. It effectively releases dirt and hair straight into the bin for a smooth cleaning session.
Smart Seal Allergen System
This technology helps to trap allergens and dust inside the 1650A unit. This ensures that no allergens are released into the atmosphere of your home when you are busy cleaning.
The motorized head rotates sideways for effortless maneuverability, which is great because you can clean around obstacles and furniture easily.
Easy Cleaning of Tight Spots
The crevice tool is equipped with LED lighting, which helps you see all the hidden hair, dirt, and debris in tight spots for effective suctioning.
Here are the main places a crevice tool can reach easily:
- Between your sofa cushions
- Between the sides of arm chairs and seat cushions
- Curved in corners of your walls
- Edges and curved in corners of carpeted stairs
- Tufts in your sofa or chairs
Quick Release Wand
It is super easy to disengage the wand from the main unit with a single push of a button, which is great because you can conveniently change attachments for quick and effective cleanups.
Unique Attachment Tools
This unit comes with a pet TurboEraser tool for erasing embedded pet fur from upholstery. Stairs, and carpets.
It also comes with a 2-in-1 pet brush, which connects to the vacuum handle for removing embedded hair and cleaning delicate surfaces.
Easy to Change Attachments
If your unit runs into issues sucking up hair and debris, you might need to change the brush and the belt. The changing process is quite simple and you will only need a screwdriver.
The first thing you have to do is unplug your unit and lay it back in order to see the lower part of the head.
Remove the cover by unscrewing all the fastening screws. Then gently pull out the roller and slid the belt off the motor gear.
Inspect the brush and belt for any flaws. You might have to replace both of them if you observe any flaws. Then install the original parts, if they are in good shape. Otherwise, install new parts.
General User Impressions
The first impression of this product for most users was impeccable before they could find any sorts of imperfections in the design and performance.
For starters, the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser 1650A gets a thumbs-up for its impressive tangle-free brush. All the human hair and pet hair go through for everyone.
It definitely has bells and whistles as far as pet hair cleaning attachments are concerned, including: a pet TurboEraser tool, a 2-in-1 pet brush, and an ingenious crevice tool with lighting.
Almost half of the users praise this product for its remarkable pet hair suctioning ability, while the other half had a hard time picking long pet hair.
In my case, I had to do a number of passes to suck in all the hair, both human and pet. But all the hair will be erased regardless of how long it will take.
Some users had a hard time getting repair and replacement services for the brush-roller assembly. As it turns out, the manufacturer’s warranty does not cover these parts.
If you have owned more than four different brands of vacuum cleaners that claim to be impeccable at erasing pet hair, but they turn out to be a complete disaster. You would understand why I like Bissell Pet Hair Eraser 1650A.
My main purpose for this machine has always been pet hair cleaning. I can’t stress enough how exceptional the tangle-free brush roll has been during my cleaning sessions.
Having three long-haired Chihuahuas in my home makes me appreciate how resourceful this machine has been. Even though I have to do a number of passes to completely erase long pet hair.
- Swivel brush head improves maneuverability. It was quite easy for me to navigate around obstacles and furniture. I enjoyed picking up dirt at 180-degree angle. Floor care made easy.
- Tangle-free brush picks hair smoothly. Not even a single strand was caught on the brush. The unique design of the brush ensures hair strands are smoothly rolled into the vacuum.
- Cyclonic technology is very effective. It seemed like magic seeing all the hair and fur spooled and tangled together at the bottom of the dust container. Not to mention how fast the hair and fur dropped off when I pressed the eject button.
- No allergens or pet odor in the air. The Smart Seal System did effectively trap allergens inside the machine. I know this because I didn’t sneeze even once. Also, my home had a refreshing smell after cleaning.
- Quick release wand. Redirecting airflow to the wand was super easy with a push of a button that is located near the bottom of the unit.
- Easy to clean different types of surfaces. This is a highly versatile vacuum for all my cleaning chores. I could pick up dirt, debris, and pet hair from different surfaces, including upholstery, carpets, bare floors, and hard floors.
- Wide coverage. Its 12 inches cleaning path width allowed for edge-to-edge cleaning, which was great because it took me less time to cover a wider area.
- Crevice tool with LED lighting helps you be thorough. Nooks and crannies are ever unblemished after using this tool.
- Comes with all important onboard tools. Bissell want you to do all your cleaning at one go, and that’s why they included: a pet TurboEraser tool, crevice tool with LED lighting, and a 2-in-1 pet brush.
- Average suction when picking long hair. I had to do a number of sweeps in order to pick up all long hair and large debris and dirt particles.
- No automatic cord rewind. Considering the price of this unit, I didn’t expect it not to have automatic cord rewind feature for easy storage after use.
- Poor position of the control knob. I don’t know what the manufacturer was thinking, but placing the dial control knob at the bottom of the unit was a very bad idea. I basically had to bend over every time I wanted to switch from carpet to hard floor cleaning. This is very bad for people with a bad back.
- Wand is pretty short. The wand was pretty short for my case. I basically had to lift the unit in order to reach higher places.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Vacuum for Pet Hair Cleaning
Is a vacuum cleaner merely an instrument that you can use to pick up dust and fur? It is, but it is designed for repeated use to ensure that your house is never overrun by pet hair.
There are four main types of vacuums that are effective at pet hair removal, and they include:
The main unit of these vacuums is located directly above the motorized head. Most upright vacuums are designed to stand upright when not in use. They are lightweight, but not as portable as stick vacuums.
These are portable, upright, broom-like cleaners that are suitable for pet hair cleaning. They are more lightweight and convenient to use than conventional designs.
These are the lightest vacuums in the industry. Usually, ideal for spot cleaning pet hair from upholstery, sofas, and car seats among other places.
They include a canister unit, a hose, and attachments. But they are not popular with pet hair removal. Only a few models on the market are engineered for erasing pet hair.
Bagged vs. Bagless Designs
Which one is better, bagless or bagged? I have been pondering this question for some time now. Bagged design need frequent replacement bags, and this is the major drawback.
Another advantage is capacity. Bagged vacuums will hold more dirt that means less time you will spend dumping out the canister. It is also a good option for allergy sufferers.
Q1. Is this Model Suitable for a Household with Long-Haired Pets?
Yes, it is suitable, considering its cyclonic spooling system and tangle-free brush design. But you will have to pass it over long hair for a while for effective cleaning.
Q2. Does It Have Automatic Cord Rewind?
The cord doesn’t retract automatically. You have to manually wrap the power cord on the back of the unit.
Q3. Can the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Pick Husky Hair?
Yes, it can pick husky hair because that is what it is designed for. You might only need to do a few passes because husky fur isn’t that long, and the cyclonic spooling system will do the rest.
My Bissell Pet Hair Eraser upright vacuum review, in a nutshell, is this: You’ll be free of all sorts of pet hair predicaments. I know how serious of a problem pet hair can be because I own three long-haired Chihuahuas.
That’s the much I could share with you in this Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Vacuum Review. Click here to check out this product.