Last Updated on by
When your kittens are starting to wean from their mothers, you have to plan what kitten food to start them off with. Their first food should be something soft and easy, so it’s best to start them off with wet food.
If you want them to be healthy and happy, and considering that kittens grow so quickly, vets and animal nutritionists recommend that you use food rich in proteins, fat, and all essential minerals.
However, the large number of available foods in the market makes it an uphill task to pick the perfect choice for your kitten.
We hand-picked the best kitten wet food options in the market and analyzed them. Read through our post to learn about their formulation, suitability for your cat, and pinpoint the best option.
- The Best Wet Food for Kittens Are…
- 1. Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free Canned — Best Canned Kitten Food
- 2. Nulo’s Freestyle Turkey & Chicken Recipe Cat Food— Runner Up
- 3. Pro Plan Focus Kitten Classic Canned Cat Food
- 4. Fancy Feast Kitten Tender Turkey Feast Canned Cat Food
- 5. Wellness Complete Health Kitten Formula Grain-Free Canned Cat Food
- 6. Purina Fancy Feast Poultry & Beef Feast Kitten Food
- 7. Tiki Cat Stix Wet Treats
- 8. Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet Natural Kitten Pate Wet Cat Food
- 9. Royal Canin Mother & Babycat Wet Cat Food
- Why Wet Food?
- Buying Guide
- Final Thoughts
The Best Wet Food for Kittens Are…
|1. Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free Canned||Check Current Price|
|2. Nulo's Freestyle Turkey & Chicken Recipe Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|3. Purina Pro Plan Focus Kitten Classic Canned Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|4. Fancy Feast Kitten Tender Turkey Feast Canned Cat Foo||Check Current Price|
|5. Wellness Complete Health Kitten Formula Grain-Free Canned Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|6. Purina Fancy Feast Poultry & Beef Feast Kitten Food||Check Current Price|
|7. Tiki Cat Stix Wet Treats||Check Current Price|
|8. Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet Natural Kitten Pate Wet Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|9. Royal Canin Mother & Babycat Wet Cat Food||Check Current Price|
1. Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free Canned — Best Canned Kitten Food
Coming at the top of our list is this Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free Canned Kitten Food, which is carefully formulated to meet all the needs of a kitten.
It contains high quantities of good proteins and fat from chicken and turkey meat to help your kitten grow into a healthy and attractive cat. The flavor of the food is also great, and your kitten will love it.
The food also contains the vitamins and minerals that your cat requires for better health. It is enriched with Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Riboflavin, and Thiamine Mononitrate, which help strengthen the canine’s immune system.
To enrich the food and make it more helpful to your kitten, Wellness went a step further and included DHA, which your cat needs for healthy brain and eye development.
When you start feeding your kitten with this food, it will become stronger and more playful even in low-lit areas.
- Protein: 12.0% (minimum)
- Fat: 7.5% (minimum)
- Fiber: 1.0% (maximum)
- Moisture content: 78.0% (maximum)
- Formulated with high-quality animal proteins and fats
- Enriched with the minerals and vitamins
- Comes with a good chicken and turkey flavor that is loved by most kittens
- Includes a balanced mix of Omega Fatty acids that helps to promote a strong immune system
- May cause your cat’s droppings to have a bad smell
2. Nulo’s Freestyle Turkey & Chicken Recipe Cat Food— Runner Up
Next on the list is this Nulo’s Freestyle Turkey & Chicken Recipe, which has become one of the top recommendations by vets today.
Indeed, we were not surprised because Nulo spares no effort to ensure that all the foods it formulates are of high quality. From the ingredients of this food to its flavor, everything is designed for perfection.
The food is prepared using high protein content, which is mainly sourced from turkey and chicken. This helps to supply your kitten with all the proteins it needs for lean muscles and fast cell development.
To ensure the food contains all the amino acids for better health, Nulo also included tuna. With this food, you are sure of promoting a healthy “athlete” right at home.
When they are growing up, kittens are faced with a lot of diseases that affect their systems.
However, this food is prepared with essential vitamins, minerals, and Omega fatty acids that help to strengthen their immune systems. This means two things; your kitten will be able to fight most diseases, and your trips to the animal doctor will be fewer.
- Crude protein: 11% (minimum)
- Crude fat 6.5% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 0.75% (maximum)
- Moisture: 78% (maximum)
- Contains high quantity of proteins to support early kitten development
- Formulated with all essential nutrients such as vitamins and omega fatty acids
- Helps to keep your kitten well hydrated all the time
- Contains zero wheat, corn or soy
- Free from preservatives and flavoring
One of the best things that you can do to a cat is helping it to feel natural, and this Focus Kitten Classic Canned Cat Food from Purina Pro Plan does exactly that. The ingredients are carefully selected to ensure that your kitten gets high quantities of real meat.
If you ask a vet about cat foods, he/she will tell you that they should contain a wide range of amino acids. This food is formulated with chicken, chicken fish, and liver to offer all the amino acids that a kitten requires in the early stages of development. Because they are real animal-based proteins, your cat will feel and look natural.
Another notable thing about this canned food is that it contains all the minerals needed for a healthy kitten. It is prepared with enough calcium and phosphorus that help to strengthen the cat’s teeth, bones, and ligaments.
The strong bones work with lean muscles, offering a good foundation for a strong, playful, and attractive cat.
- Proteins: 12% (minimum)
- Fat: 6% (minimum)
- Fiber: 1.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 76.5 (maximum)
- With Taurine to help to build a healthy heart and strong eyesight
- Contains omega fatty acids and zinc that helps with the development of an attractive and shiny coat
- Prepared with real animal meat
- Comes with a lovely flavor
- The high levels of phosphorous make it less desirable for kittens with kidney issues
When Fancy Feat formulated this Kitten Tender Turkey Feast Canned Cat Food, the goal was to provide your small canine with an irresistible feast – they did not disappoint.
The food is prepared with turkey meat, which provides all the amino acids that your furry feline needs for healthy growth. When we started feeding our cats with the food, they could not have enough of it and looked forward to every meal.
Unlike some kitten foods that only use turkey to provide cats with the proteins they need, Fancy Feast added milk and eggs to make it a perfect option, especially for weaning kittens.
Furthermore, the food contains Taurine for the healthy development of your kitten’s brain, eyes, and heart.
We also liked the balanced supply of vitamins and minerals that help to strengthen cats’ immune systems. Particularly, liver, fish, and vitamin supplements were selected to ensure your kitten can easily fight common diseases.
- Crude proteins: 11% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 5% (minimum)
- Moisture: 78% (maximum)
- Calcium: 0.3% (minimum)
- Prepared with high-quality proteins from turkey and chicken eggs
- The food is well balanced and good for weaning kittens
- Rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
- Contains Taurine for a healthy heart and good eyesight
- It contains artificial flavors
Wellness makes our list again with this protein-rich food, a carefully formulated feast that most kittens find hard to resist.
We were impressed by the formulation because it is grain-free and contains all the proteins that your little cat needs for good growth. Although expensive, this is one of the foods you can trust for the good nourishment of your kittens.
The bulk of the ingredients used to supply protein — such as chicken broth, and chicken liver — come from real animals. This is important in ensuring your cat gets all the essential amino acids for better health.
It is also rich in minerals, which are carefully balanced for optimal performance of the kitten’s internal organs. Some of the most notable include copper proteinate, calcium, and phosphorus that help to strengthen the cat’s bones, ligaments, and teeth.
You can only be sure of a good kitten’s health if its immune system is strong. To achieve this, this food contains all essential vitamins, including Vitamin A, Vitamin B, and Vitamin D.
In addition to strengthening the immune system, the vitamins work with Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids to help give your kitten a smooth and attractive coat.
- Rich in essential minerals and Omega fatty acids for a healthy skin coat
- Enriched with Taurine for a healthier heart, stronger eyesight, and brain
- Contains high quantities of proteins that make your cat feel natural
- Prepared with no preservatives, coloring or artificial flavors
- Has antioxidants and minerals that make the food good for urinary system’s health
- May result in bad smelling droppings
Delicious and nutrient-rich are the two words that can be used to describe this poultry & beef feast kitten food.
The food is formulated with the primary focus being to offer kittens with a smooth transition as they shift from the mothers’ milk to solid food. As the name suggests, this is a true feast, and your kittens will love it.
The food is prepared using high-quality ingredients, which helps to supply all the nutrients that your kitten needs. You have the option of selecting the food with salmon or chicken as the number one ingredient. In addition, the food is enriched with milk for the supply of all the amino acids that the cat needs.
Serving this food is another convenience that makes it unique in the flooded market. The food is packaged in convenient pull-tab cans that make serving easy and fast. You simply feed one can per three to three-and-half pounds of kittens’ body weight.
- Crude proteins: 11% (maximum)
- Crude fat: 5% (minimum)
- Fiber : 1.5% (maximum)
- Moisture 78% (maximum)
- Real meat ingredient from salmon and chicken
- Well balanced with all the nutrients that your little cat needs for healthy growth and development
- Prepared to meet all the nutritional needs of a growing kitten
- The texture feels hard and might not be suitable for kittens that prefer soft-textured food
For pet lovers with cats at different stages, including kittens, selecting food that can be used by all of them is a great idea, and that is one of the reasons why Tiki Cat formulated the Stix Tuna Grain-Free Cat Treats.
The food contains high quantities of proteins drawn from animals to make your feline feel natural and stay healthy.
Featuring quality protein sources such as tuna and eggs, this food is a tasty treat that your kitten will like. It provides all the amino acids that your little feline wants for strong muscles and healthy growth. In addition, it rocks a chicken flavor that even the picky kittens find irresistible.
We also liked the food because it helps to build a stronger immune system for your cat. Tiki Pets used natural tuna that supplies high quantities of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids to your cat.
These fatty acids work with minerals and vitamins in the food to give your little feline a smooth and attractive coat.
- Protein: 9% (minimum)
- Fat : 2% (minimum)
- Fiber: 0.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 88% (maximum)
- The food is suitable for kittens as well as adult cats
- Prepared with high-quality proteins derived from real tuna
- Rocks a creamy texture and lovely flavor that makes it easy for kittens to eat
- Comes with convenient packs of individually-wrapped single servings for easy feeding
- Some kittens refuse to eat the food after sometime
Next on our list is this Healthy Gourmet Natural Kitten Pate Wet Cat Food that makes kittens keep asking for more all the time. The food is formulated to offer your kitten with quality and balanced nutrients for whole body growth and development.
Particularly, we liked the food formulation because it does not contain by-product meals, wheat, or soy.
The bulk of this food is prepared using real meat proteins from chicken, chicken liver, eggs, and fish oil, which helps kittens to develop lean muscles. Furthermore, the food is enriched with vitamins and minerals derived from healthy sources, such as fruits and veggies.
At an early stage, your kitten’s brain, heart, and eyes are still developing and should be supported with the right minerals.
Blue Buffalo thought about this too and included Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), a crucial nutrient that kittens need for brain and eye development in vitro and early stages of development.
- Proteins: 11% (minimum)
- Fat: 7.5% (minimum)
- Fiber: 1.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 78% (maximum)
- Comes in a savory gravy that makes it easy and enjoyable even for very young kittens
- Prepared with high-quality proteins from real animals
- Contains DHA for healthier brain and cognitive development
- Does not contain artificial flavors and grains
- Kittens easily get bored with the food
There is nothing as lovely as seeing your healthy kittens play happily with their mother on the lawn. This Royal Canin Mother & Babycat Wet Cat Food was formulated to make this scenario an everyday reality in your home.
The food is prepared to meet the specific needs of growing kittens, especially those between one and four months. Indeed, it is also a great option for pregnant cats, providing the kittens with the best nutrition for kittens in vitro.
The food is prepared with high protein content sourced from chicken to provide your kitten with all the proteins it requires for healthy growth. Besides, it contains essential vitamins, such as L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate and Thiamine Mononitrate, which your kittens require for healthy growth and development.
To make it well balanced, it also contains minerals such as calcium, phosphates, and carotene for healthy bones, teeth, and ligaments development.
- Proteins: 9% (minimum)
- Fat: 4% (minimum)
- Moisture: 81% (maximum)
- Contains beneficial probiotics for healthy digestive systems of your kittens
- Enriched with DHA for good heart and brain development
- Supports a strong cat immune system
- Can be fed on both kittens and nursing mothers
- Contains chicken and pork by-products
- The formula contains wheat gluten
Why Wet Food?
Looking at the large collection of kitten foods in any store, you will realize that they are available in either dry or wet form. Wet food, like the name suggests, contains high moisture content and closely resembles what the feline would get if it was in the wild.
The food comes with special benefits for your kitten, including the following:
- It contains high moisture content to help keep your kitten hydrated
- Because it is formulated as wet food, it allows your kitten to be as natural as possible by getting something close to what it’s feline cousins such as leopards get in the wild
- Wet foods are also tasty, and most kittens love them
Although wet food is no doubt good for your kitten, most of them get bored quickly and might refuse to eat it after some time.
After reading our best kitten wet food, it is now time to select the perfect option for your little kitten. Here is a complete guide to help you select the best choice.
To pick the right food for your kitten, here are the things to consider:
This is one of the most important considerations when selecting food for your kitten. First, you need to appreciate that a cat is an obligate carnivore, which means it has evolved to rely largely on fresh meat from other animals.
You can figure this one out by thinking about the diet of wild cats, such as wolves and jaguars. Then, look for food that would offer your kitten something related to or close to that.
High and Quality Protein Content
The best food should be formulated with high protein content to help provide the feline with all the ingredients it requires for healthy growth. Proteins provide the amino acids that kittens need to develop their body cells, blood, and different organs.
So, you should look for foods prepared using ingredients such as chicken, beef, lamb, fish, and pork as the main source of proteins.
High Calories Derived From Animal Sources
Kittens are very active and take most of the time running, playing, and exercising. Therefore, they require food with high quantities of calories.
Like most natural felines, you should consider the food that provides high calories derived from animal proteins, not plant-based. Even if the food contains some plant-based calories, over 50% of them should be from animal fats and proteins.
Like other carnivores in the wild, cats’ digestive systems are not designed to process carbohydrates. Where possible, only go for the foods that are carbohydrates free.
However, you can also consider options that contain low-carbohydrates that are derived from fruits like raspberries as opposed to soy, wheat, or corn.
The main issue with high-carbon diets is that they increase your cat’s risk of becoming overweight and suffering from conditions such as diabetes.
Check for Presence of these Additional Ingredients
To be sure that the kitten’s wet food is well balanced, it is important also to confirm it contains additional ingredients needed for healthy development.
First, you should ensure it contains ample vitamins and minerals to support a stronger immunity, which is crucial in helping the cat stay free from common diseases.
Other ingredients that you should check include Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids that further strengthen the immune system and promote the development of healthy skin. Some manufacturers also add probiotics for a healthy digestive system and Taurine for stronger eyesight.
What To Avoid In Kitten Food
When you are checking the best ingredients that suit your kitten, it is also important to be on the lookout for the following harmful components and avoid them.
- Foods with ingredients labeled “by-products” and “animal-digest”
- Chemical preservatives such as ethoxyquin, BHT, and propyl gallate
- Fillers such as cornmeal, soy, and wheat
- Genetically Modified Objects (GMOs)
- Artificial food colors
Price is another issue that you need to consider with a lot of care. While the old maxim that “you get what you pay for” still holds true in most of the cases, you should not simply jump to the highest-priced foods.
However, going for cheap foods also risks your kitten with malnutrition and conditions such as diabetes.
The best way to go about the prices of wet kitten foods is starting with quality checks and finishing with the price.
For example, you should check for a couple of kitten foods that have high protein content, high calories, and low carbs before checking the price. Once you identify a great food option, go for it!
What Is On The Label
Before you can place an order for a specific food, make sure to carefully check the label, which should tell you more about the ingredients. So, here is what to look for in the food label:
- Full compliance with the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO’s) requirements for animal foods. AAFCO requires animal feeds manufacturers to include information such as calorie content, nutritional adequacy, and net quantity statements.
- Clearly named source of proteins. Only go for foods that provide specific sources of animal proteins such as “tuna, turkey, chicken, lamb, pork or beef,” as opposed to generalization such as “meat.”
- Check the expiry date of the food. Every manufacturer is required by law to provide a clearly marked date of expiry so that people do not feed their felines on rancid food.
Because little kittens’ body systems are still developing, you should only select the food that will support the growth. However, a number of manufacturers releasing their foods into the market are primarily driven by the anticipated profits as opposed to delivering value. But how can you know them?
One of the proven methods is buying only from the top brands whose kitten foods are recommended by vets, nutritionists, and pet lovers.
Your kitten is probably one of your best companions, providing you with joy and unique satisfaction. Therefore, you have an obligation of feeding them well, keeping them healthy, and happy too.
This post has brought out the best kitten wet food that will make every moment with your kitten unforgettable. The wet kitten foods are formulated by top brands, and you can trust them for a healthy little feline.
Although the best kitten canned foods we have reviewed above are the best in the market (they sparkle in every way), the CORE Natural Grain Free Canned Kitten Food from Wellness is the best of them all. It is formulated with high-quality proteins, essential vitamins, and minerals for a healthy kitten.