Last Updated on by
Kittens grow incredibly fast. As such, they require food that provides them with all the nutrients needed for healthy development. Dry kitten foods are recommended because they are nutrient-dense, allowing your baby cats to develop into attractive and strong cats.
But when you visit any animal feed store, the large number of kibble options can overwhelm you and pose a serious dilemma.
In this review, we looked at the best kitten dry food on the market and reviewed them. Read through our reviews to learn more about the best foods, and pick the perfect option for your little felines.
- The Best Dry Kitten Food Are…
- 1. Wellness Natural’s Complete Health Kitten Formula — Best Dry Food for Kittens
- 2. Nutro Wholesome Essentials Kitten Dry Cat
- 3. Kitten Chow Nurture Dry Cat Food
- 4. Blue Buffalo Healthy Growth Natural Kitten Food
- 5. IAMS Proactive Health Kitten
- 6. Diamond Naturals Kitten Formula Dry Cat Food
- 7. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food, Kitten, Indoor
- 8. Iams ProActive Health Indoor Weight & Hairball Care Dry Cat Food
- 9. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat Food
- Buying Guide For The Best Dry Kitten Food
- Final Thoughts
The Best Dry Kitten Food Are…
|1. Wellness Natural’s Complete Health Kitten Formul||Check Current Price|
|2. Nutro Wholesome Essentials Kitten Dry Cat||Check Current Price|
|3. Kitten Chow Nurture Dry Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|4. Blue Buffalo Healthy Growth Natural Kitten Food||Check Current Price|
|5. IAMS Proactive Health Kitten||Check Current Price|
|6. Diamond Naturals Kitten Formula Dry Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|7. Hill's Science Diet Dry Cat Food, Kitten, Indoor||Check Current Price|
|8. Iams ProActive Health Indoor Weight & Hairball Care Dry Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|9. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat Food||Check Current Price|
This Wellness Natural’s Complete Health Kitten Formula is our favorite and deservedly takes the first position in our list of the best kitten dry food. The kibble is prepared with chicken as the first ingredient and is really tasty for baby kittens.
What we liked most about the food is that it is carefully formulated to provide your kittens with all the proteins and minerals they need for fast growth.
In addition to ample amino acids from chicken meat, chicken liver, and chicken broth, the food is enriched with Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids. The combination goes a long way into strengthening cats’ immune systems and healthy smooth fur.
When you start feeding your cats with the food, it will take only a few days to start seeing a difference in their fur.
To be able to play, learn, and grow into a lovely cat, your kitten requires good eyesight and brain development. This is why the food is also enriched with vitamins, antioxidants, and Taurine. It is one of the best ways to turn your cat into an athlete in your home.
- Crude protein: 11.0% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 7.0% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 1% (maximum)
- Moisture: 7% (maximum)
- Contains high amounts of proteins from real chicken
- The food is prepared with ample quantities of vitamins and arachidonic acid (ARA) for proper brain development
- The formulation is good in suppressing urinary tract infections
This Nutro Wholesome Essentials Kitten Dry Cat food is one of the most popular kibble choices out there because of the carefully selected ingredients and nutrient balance.
The food is prepared using chicken as the main ingredient for a high supply of proteins to your kittens. To provide more healthy carbs, the food also contains brown rice.
When kittens are growing, they are faced with all sorts of infections and diseases. But Nutro included ample Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants that help to strengthen your cats’ immune system. Therefore, you can expect that the cat will fall ill less often.
Another outstanding thing about the food is that it is prepared from sources that are free from growth stimulants, antibiotics, and genetically modified objects (GMO). For example, the chickens are supplied by trusted farmers who use free-range systems.
- Crude proteins: 36% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 19% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 4% (maximum)
- Moisture: 10% (Maximum)
- Clear balance between proteins and carbs that your kitten gets
- Enriched with Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins for a stronger immune system
- Free from growth stimulants, antibiotics, and GMOs
- Contains calcium and other essential minerals for stronger teeth and bones
- Can result in dehydration if your cat fails to take ample water
Coming next on our list is this Kitten Chow Nurture Dry Cat Food, a uniquely formulated feast for kittens. It is an age essential dry kitten food formulated with the four foundational building blocks of nutrition; proteins, DHA, essential nutrients, and antioxidants.
The main ingredient in the kibble is protein, which constitute more than 40%. Although the main source of protein is chicken, it also includes other sources such as liver and fish meal.
We liked the protein combination because it implies that the kittens can have an ample supply of all essential amino acids for building lean muscle and overall body health.
Another outstanding thing about this kitten food is that it is rich in docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and arachidonic acid (ARA) that are very crucial for brain and vision development.
Besides, the food contains 25 essential vitamins, such as Vitamin B12, and Vitamin B3, which help to strengthen the immune system of cats, even at young ages.
- Crude proteins: 40% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 12.5% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 2.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 12.0% (Maximum)
- High protein made from natural sources
- Formulated to provide kittens with essential nutrients just like their mother’s milk
- Loaded with fatty acids and ADA that help to support better vision and brain development
- Contains all minerals and vitamins for a healthy immune system
- Sold affordably
- The ingredients contain soy and corn gluten meal
If you have young kittens and want to wean them, you need a special type of dry food that they can easily digest, and absorb most nutrients.
This Blue Buffalo Healthy Growth Natural Kitten Food is formulated to make your little felines easily shift to hard foods and enjoy the transformation. The food is prepared using meat from chicken that allows the kittens to feel natural and enjoy the lovely flavor.
In addition to chicken meat, the food is enriched with brown rice that helps to supply the additional energy that your kittens need to play and grow. To keep your kitten’s immune system strong and reliable, Blue Buffalo also included a lot of vitamins from vegetables and essential minerals.
We also liked the inclusion of antioxidants, such as docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and arachidonic acid (ARA).
that help with eyesight and brain development. With these ingredients, you are sure that your kittens will be able to see, play and enjoy every moment, even at night.
- Crude protein: 36% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 20% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 3.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 9.0% (maximum)
- Proteins sourced from real animals
- Provides a perfect balance of proteins, carbs, vitamin, and minerals for small cats
- Free from preservatives
- The food does not last long after opening the seal
Coming next on our list is this IAMS Proactive Health Kitten food, which is carefully formulated for active baby cats. The main ingredient used to prepare this food is protein sourced from chicken meat, chicken oil, and eggs. Further, the food contains fish oil, which helps to diversify the amino acids available for your cat.
Another outstanding ingredient in this food is the inclusion of most vitamins that your kittens need for a stronger immune system.
The food contains high concentrations of Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and essential minerals that help to strengthen the cat’ immune system. Furthermore, antioxidants and minerals work together to promote a healthy heart and brain development.
When small, the teeth of your kittens are still fragile and can easily get damaged if tartar starts building on them. However, this food is formulated with essential minerals, especially calcium and phosphorus that promote stronger teeth. Also, the kibble has a crunchy texture that allows the cat to remove tartar when feeding.
- Crude protein: 42.2% (minimum)
- Crude fat. 21% (maximum)
- Moisture: 10.0% (maximum)
- Prepared with high-protein content for a healthy cat
- Enriched with probiotics for a more effective digestive system
- Can be used for both young kittens and pregnant cats
- Provides your cat with all the minerals to needs for faster growth
- Contains corn gluten meal
Diamond is another brand that enjoys an excellent reputation in the pet food niche because of commitment to quality, and this Diamond Naturals Kitten Formula Dry Cat Food is a testimony to that.
We were impressed by the food because it does not have anything artificial. It is natural and contains all the nutrients that your baby cats need.
The bulk of the proteins in this food are sourced from cage-free chicken, which supply amino acids to your cats for lean muscle development. Sweet potatoes are included in the food to supply additional carbs to your kittens.
Well, even if your lovely little feline wants to play and exercise the whole day, this kibble ensures it will not run out of energy fast.
The food is also loaded with a lot of vitamins, including vitamin A, vitamin C, and Vitamin E that are derived from vegetables and fruits. To make the food more helpful to your kittens’ immune systems, Diamond went ahead and included ample Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids.
With this food, you can rest easy knowing that your cats can fight most infections and diseases.
- Protein: 34% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 22% (minimum)
- Fiber: 2.0 (maximum)
- All-natural ingredients
- High protein content sourced from cage-free chicken
- Does not contain artificial flavors or colorings
- Enriched with all the essential minerals and vitamins for a healthy kitten
- Some cat owners say their kittens experienced stomach upsets
For people who love staying indoors with their kittens, it is important to ensure that only the food with the right formulation is selected.
A good example is Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food, which is formulated to supply your kittens with ample proteins and carbs for faster growth.
The number one ingredient of this food is proteins, which are derived from chicken. Whether your little cats are just weaning or about to hit 12 months, the proteins offer them ample supply of amino acids for effective cell and ligament development.
To make the cat kibble balanced for kittens of all stages, it also contains healthy rice for the supply of healthy carbs.
Once you offer your cat some food, it can only help them if the gut system is in good condition. This food is prepared with probiotics and fiber content that helps to enhance the efficiency of nutrient absorption.
Other ingredients included in the food include minerals that promote the growth of strong bones, teeth, and a stronger immune system.
- Protein: 33.5% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 16.5% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 3.5% (maximum)
- Proteins formulated using real-animal meat
- High fiber content and probiotics that help maintain the good health of the kitten’s intestines
- Essential minerals and vitamins that help strengthen your cat’s eyesight, and promote healthy brain
- The rich formulation makes the food a good option for pregnant cats too
- Free from preservatives
- Contains carbs derived from sweet potato
For pet lovers with little kittens and their mothers, using different foods can be a challenge. Think of a situation where young kittens rush to the mother’s plate and eat food formulated for adults.
To avoid such a scenario, you need food such as this IAMS ProActive Health Indoor Weight & Hairball Care Dry Cat Food, which works well for both kittens and their mother or pregnant mother.
This food is formulated to help meet the unique needs of indoor cats and kittens. The main ingredient of this cat food is chicken and chicken by-product, dried plain beef, and turkey.
Because it is formulated for indoor kittens and cats, the food contains 10% less fat compared to other common formulas.
Vets also recommend this kibble because it contains fat-burning L-carnitine, which helps cats shed excess weight. This is very crucial in helping to prevent the problem of diabetes in cats.
- Crude proteins: 30% (minimum)
- Crude fat: 11% (minimum)
- Crude fiber: 8.3% (maximum)
- Moisture: 10% (maximum)
- Carefully balanced food for healthy cats
- Combination of ingredients for the supply of diverse nutrients
- Crunchy texture that helps to keep the teeth of your kitty clean
- Good for both kittens and their mother
- Diverse vitamins and minerals for stronger bones, teeth, and immune system
- Contains chicken byproducts
Blue buffalo makes our list of best kitten dry food again and closes it with this highly cherished Wilderness Kitten Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat Food.
Like most Blue buffalo products, this food is prepared with chicken as the main ingredient for a high supply of proteins and amino acids that kittens need for fast growth. This was aimed at giving the kittens a natural treat that is close to what their cousin felines in the wild get.
Every bite provides your kittens with probiotics that help to create the right environment for food digestion and absorption. Also, the food contains high quantities of fibers that help to optimize the efficiency of food uptake in the gut.
To make the food well balanced, it also contains all essential minerals and vitamins. The most notable of these include Vitamin B3, Vitamin B7, Vitamin B12, and Vitamin C. Other ingredients that make this kitten kibble stand out include Omega-6 fatty acids that are derived from flaxseed and taurine.
- Protein: 40% (minimum)
- Fat: 20% (minimum)
- Fiber: 3.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 9% (maximum)
- 100% grain-free diet
- Prepared using real chicken meat
- Formulated using essential minerals and useful vitamin for better kitten health
- Supports healthy digestion with high fiber content and probiotics
- Mixed with Tocopherols, a preservative
Buying Guide For The Best Dry Kitten Food
As a proud pet parent of your kittens, their food should be carefully selected in line with its nutritional needs. Also, you need to understand that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to picking the right cat food.
So, here are the main considerations needed to identify the right kitten dry food:
A Closer Look At Dry Food
Cat foods fall into two main categories; wet food and dry food. Unlike wet foods that contain high moisture content of more than 70%, the dry food options only have about 10%.
When selecting the dry food for your kittens, the primary goal should be to pinpoint the option that has the ingredients that suit your kittens’ needs.
The main benefits associated with using dry food include:
- The dry food helps cats to practice and strengthen their teeth
- Nibbling the kibble helps to remove tartar that develops on the teeth
- The food is in solid form and does not mess the feeding area
- You can leave the food for the cat to eat freely
- The food is available in different flavors
- Serving the food to your kittens is easy
Note that unlike the wet foods, the dry kitten foods have the problem of causing dehydration.
This is probably the biggest consideration that you need to factor when buying kitten dry food.
Although they are little felines, it is important to look at them as carnivores that are tuned to live on a high-protein diet. So, here is what to look for when selecting the preferred dry food for your baby cats:
The best food for your kitten should be prepared from real animal meat. Like other wild cats’ meals, food prepared using real meat is rich in amino acids that the young felines need for rapid growth.
Although some manufacturers use proteins from just one source such as chicken or pork, it is better to go for food that combines several proteins for greater diversity of amino acids supply.
As we have already mentioned, cats are carnivores, and their digestive systems have evolved over time only to support high-protein diets. Therefore, you should look for the kitten food that has calories derived from animal proteins and fat, as opposed to grains.
Note that even if the food combines different carbohydrates, plant-based and animal-based, over 50% of them should be derived from animal proteins.
Vitamins and Minerals
Because kittens are still young and growing, the kitten food that you select should have all the essential minerals and vitamins to promote strong immune systems.
For example, the food should contain ample calcium and phosphorus for stronger bones and ligament development. Your kittens will also require Vitamin C and Vitamin E for stronger immunity.
Apart from high proteins, carbs, and vitamins, you also need to ensure that the kibble you select contains additional ingredients for the good health of your little feline.
So, check for things such as probiotics and fiber that help to maintain the intestines of young felines in good health. If you can get the food enriched with Taurine, Omega-3 fatty acids, Omega-6 fatty acids, and antioxidants, it will be a great advantage to your feline because it will help to promote good brain health, better eyesight, and a stronger immune system.
Now that we have highlighted the ingredients to look for, it is also important to note the ones to avoid. Some ingredients or chemicals to avoid include chemical preservatives, carb fillers, and food colors. Also, you should avoid foods prepared using growth hormones, antibiotics of or are GMO based.
Once you have narrowed down to a specific dry food for your baby cats, everything comes down to price. Like other products, the higher the price of dry kitten food, the better the quality.
While this argument is true, it is not always correct when it comes to kitten food because of the growing competition. For example, our reviews have captured diverse dry cat foods of outstanding quality, but the price ranges widely.
To get it right on the price of dry kitten foods, you should primarily be guided by quality as opposed to price. Once you have identified a good product that has all the ingredients that your cat needs, go for it.
But if you are shopping on a budget, you should start by checking the foods prepared using high-quality ingredients, but that are offered at low rates.
You could also check top stores such as Chewy to learn when they have discounted rates.
Here are other tricks to buy top-quality kitten food at a lower rate:
- Buy the kitten food together with other items to meet the targeted purchase amount for special discounts
- Try to by when stores have clearance sales
- Join a preferred store’s membership to enjoy members-only discounts on kitten cat foods
Today, the animal feeds market has become very competitive as new brands keep entering the niche. But the biggest challenge for pet owners is that some of the brands with kitten foods in the market cannot be trusted.
For example, most of them rarely reveal the quantity of carbs in their kibble. So, how can you beat them? One of the best methods is working with brands that have been tested and proven to be highly committed to quality.
Some respected names when it comes to the quality of kitten foods include Victor, IAMS, and Blue Buffalo. But you do not have to worry about the brands because all the products that we have reviewed in this post are picked from top-rated brands.
When looking for the best kitten dry food, your goal should be trained on quality. Since the baby cats are still growing, they require the best dry food for kittens with high-quality proteins, high-calories derived from animal fat, and all essential minerals.
The kitten kibble we have reviewed in this post have highlighted the best that the market has to offer. They are prepared by top brands and have a wide price range to ensure that you can easily pick the best food for your little felines.
While we stand with the nine top kitten dry foods in our reviews (they are excellent), this Wellness Natural’s Complete Health Kitten Formula was the best of them all. It contains a good balance of all the nutrients that your little feline needs for good health, faster growth, and better immunity.