If you and your dog love spending time outdoors, you’ve likely had issues with the weather at some point. I had the same problem, which led me to look for the best dog jacket to protect my dog from the elements.
My search led me to the Hurtta Extreme Warmer, and I believe it’s hands down the best dog jacket for winter and rain.
The Hurtta Extreme Warmer is one of the best dog jackets because it’s durable, comfortable, and doesn’t impede mobility. It’s suitable for cold and wet weather conditions, keeping your dog safe and cozy, regardless of how chilly the outdoors get.
Of course, the Hurtta Extreme Warmer isn’t the only dog jacket worthy of a spot among the best dog jackets for cold or wet weather. In our dog jacket review below, you’ll find all the latest best dog jackets. By the end, you’ll be able to pick the ideal one for your pup.
The Top Dog Jackets Reviewed
Hurtta Extreme Warmer – Best Overall
As the best dog jacket for winter, the Hurtta Extreme Warmer is designed to keep your dog cozy and dry while playing in the snow.
- Available in various sizes and colors
- Heat reflective, using your dog’s own body heat to keep him warm
- High collar that keeps your dog’s ears and head warm
- The back length, collar, and waist are adjustable
The Hurtta Extreme Weather jacket is designed to cover your dog’s neck, chest, and rump, keeping all the above snug, warm, and dry. I also love that there’s a hood to keep my dog’s ears warm.
It’s ideal for walks, hikes, and more on snowy days, and since it’s available in a variety of sizes, you won’t have trouble finding one that’s a perfect fit for your buddy.
The only thing to complain about is the prize, but at least you know you’re getting a top-notch product that’s worth the price tag.
- Hood that protects your dog’s ears and neck
- Protects a lot of the dog’s body from cold and wet
- Wide range of sizes
- Ideal for adventures in the snow, rain, and cold
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Heat-reflective for maximum warmth
- Durable materials
- Hand wash only
- Pretty expensive
This is an expensive winter jacket, but the extra price is worth the quality and the level of comfort the jacket provides. Plus, it’s durable, which means your dog will keep using it for years.
Overall Rating – 4.8 stars
Kuoser Cozy Waterproof Reversible Winter Coat – Best for Small Dogs
For small dogs, finding a jacket that fits snugly and keeps out the cold can be tricky. The Kuoser Cozy Waterproof Coat solves this by being available in an extra-small size.
- Velcro closures that make wearing and taking off the jacket easy and quick
- Made with waterproof and windproof Polyester fiber
- Available in seven sizes
- Reversible body
There’s a lot to love about this coat, especially its affordability. There’s also the fact that it’s reversible, giving you two styles in one coat. With seven sizes, you can wrap up dogs as small as 4 to 6 pounds or as large as 100 pounds.
Both sides of the jacket are wearable, giving you two styles in one. You’ll probably use the plaid pattern side more often than not since it’s so stylish.
But most importantly, the jacket is waterproof and provides ample protection against wind, rain, and snow. However, that protection is limited to the main body. There’s no protection for the neck and chest.
- Available in a wide range of sizes and color patterns
- Keeps your dog’s vulnerable belly warm
- Stylish dog jacket
- Easy to wear and take off thanks to the Velcro flaps
- Water-resistant body
- Very affordable price
- Its sizes and design work better for small dogs
- No protection for your dog’s neck and ears
- Not ideal for extreme weather
It looks fantastic. If you want to save money and don’t intend to have your dog in the snow or rain that often, this dog jacket will suffice.
Overall Rating – 4.5 stars
For many, this is the best dog jacket for winter. It’s just as good as the Hurtta Extreme Warmer, but it’s even more expensive.
- Stretch fabric for a full range of motion
- Polyester fabric and synthetic insulation
- Zip closure for a closed fit
- Reflective trim
- Water and weather resistant
- Sleeved design that covers more of your dog for optimal warmth
- Available in sizes XXS to XL
This is a high-quality winter jacket that’ll keep your dog warm without restricting his movement. The sleeve design fully protects his upper body, keeping his chest warm. It doesn’t cover the belly area very well, though, and it’s very expensive. It also offers no protection for the ears and neck.
- Available in a wide range of interesting colors
- Suitable for snow, rain, and other cold weather conditions
- Doesn’t impeding your dog’s movement
- Reflective strips for added visibility in low light conditions
- The full body length zipper makes wearing the jacket and taking it off easy
- High price tag
- Offers little protection to the ears and neck
If you can afford it, this is not a bad winter jacket for your dog, especially if your dog is very active and energetic.
Overall Rating – 4.6 stars
Weatherbeeta Reflective Parka 300D – Best Parka Dog Coat
Easily one of the best dog jackets on the market, the Weatherbeeta Parka offers optimal protection against the elements from your dog’s ear to his rump and belly.
- Waterproof and weatherproof
- Lightweight design
- Reflective trimming
- Available in various sizes
- Leash holes in the collar for tethering
The full-body coverage this dog jacket provides makes it suitable for a variety of wet and cold weather conditions. It’s also lightweight, which means your dog can wear it for hours without becoming uncomfortable, and waterproof, which makes it suitable as a raincoat as well as a winter coat.
The lightweight design will make your dog forget he’s wearing it, and its reasonable price won’t hurt your wallet too badly. There aren’t that many color options available, though, and you may have trouble finding a perfect fit for a small-sized dog.
- Available in various sizes for medium and large-sized dogs
- Effectively covers and warms the belly and neck
- Keeps your dog dry and cozy
- Ideal for winter walks
- Fair price
- Easy to wear and take off
- Doesn’t impede your dog’s range of motion
- Not suitable for machine washing
- Finding a good fit for a small dog is difficult
This option is a great choice for a mid-priced winter jacket, as long as your dog is at least medium-sized.
Overall Rating – 4.7 stars
PETCEE Waterproof Dog Jacket – Best Waterproof Dog Jacket for Winter
Looking for the best dog rain jacket? PETCEE Waterproof Dog Jacket is the answer. The polyester material and sleeve design cover the neck, chest, and rump, keeping out the rain like a charm.
- Polyester surface with a fleece-lined interior for maximum waterproofing
- Two layers of cotton within the lining for maximum warmth
- Available in different sizes from XS to 5X
- A combination of zipper and Velcro flaps for easy wearing and removal
This jacket fully covers the belly and neck and is suitable for various dog breeds. Your dog will stay dry, warm, and comfortable in this jacket regardless of how badly it pours. You’ll likely get jealous of how snug your buddy is.
The jacket is also reversible, meaning you’re getting two jacket styles for the price of one. To get the perfect size for your dog, you may have to visit the store to give the jacket a try, though.
- Reversible jacket that’s available in three color combo options
- Reflective strip for optimal visibility in low light conditions
- Fully covers your dog’s belly and neck for optimal dryness and warmth
- Reasonable price
- Easy to wear and take off
- Some buyers have reported issues with the zipper
If you want more of a rain jacket than a snow jacket, this inexpensive option will serve you well.
Overall Rating – 4.5 stars
Zack & Zoey Polyester Nor’easter Dog Blanket Coat – Best Blanket Dog Coat and Most Affordable
If you want something with less of a snug fit, you should try the Zack & Zoey Polyester Nor’easter. It might be a blanket dog coat, but it is cute.
- Available in eight colors and sizes
- Reflective trimming for visibility in poor light conditions
- Fleece-lined with a waterproof design
- Made of 100 percent polyester
- Reversible design with a stylish paw print at the base
This jacket is waterproof and big enough to cover your dog’s whole body. The affordable price is also attractive. It’s also reversible, meaning you can simply flip it over for a different style. It’s quite cozy and suitable for large dogs, too.
The blanket dog coat is a great option if your dog is the type to lose his mind when you put him in tight-fitting clothes. The loose fit of the blanket coat will be less distressful for such dogs. Because it’s loose-fitting, though, the coat can move around on your dog’s body and may need frequent adjustments.
- Reversible and available in several color options
- Sizes range from XXS to XXL for your dog’s perfect fit
- Reflective strip to keep your dog visible at night
- Waterproof material to keep your dog dry
- It’s machine washable and easy to clean
- Less form-fitting than other coats
- Not ideal for severe weather conditions
This dog jacket is an affordable option if you won’t be taking your dog for outings in extreme weather conditions.
Overall Rating – 4.5 stars
Dog Jacket Buying Guide
Why Your Dog Needs A Jacket
Before you buy a jacket for your dog, you need to figure out if you actually need one. If you are facing any of the following circumstances, you should get one:
- You live in an area with severe winters or lots of rain.
- You’ll be visiting an area with severe winters or lots of rain.
- Your dog isn’t very furry or hairy.
- You and your dog go on a lot of outdoor adventures.
- Your dog weighs very little – small dogs get cold faster.
- Your dog doesn’t have a double coat – Dogs with a double coat have natural protection against cold and rain.
- The age of your dog – it’s harder for older dogs to stay warm.
Aside from the above, there’s also the question of if your dog will cooperate with wearing a coat.
Choosing the Best Winter Dog Coat
To get a dog jacket that’s best capable of keeping your dog warm and dry, consider the following:
- The material of the jacket – Polyester jackets with fleece lining are quite waterproof, but if you want a jacket that keeps out the cold, it has to have multiple layers of fabric.
- Insulation – The jacket’s design must insulate your dog’s body heat and stop the external chill from getting in.
- The dog’s size – You need a jacket that’s a proper fit. Too big and it won’t properly cover your dog. Too small, and it will restrict your dog’s mobility. Other than fitting right, make sure the jacket has adjustable straps for customizing the jacket’s fit.
- Cost – The cheapest option is rarely the best option since it’ll likely be made of lower-quality materials. The best choice is the jacket that’s within your budget but offers all the features you need from a winter dog coat.
- Coat style – Do you want a jacket that snugly covers your dog’s neck, ears, and belly? Or, are you satisfied with a blanket coat that fits loosely around your dog? The level of warmth you can get from a coat will depend on its style, so make sure to verify which style best matches your dog’s needs.
There are a variety of dog jackets to choose from for your best friend, but if you want a durable one that keeps your dog warm and comfortable, be sure to pick one from our above list of best dog jackets for winter.
Just remember that the best dog jacket for your dog will depend on your dog’s size and the weather conditions. The Hurtta Extreme Warmer is ideal for even the most extreme cold or rainy weather. It’s also pet-friendly and durable, making it a wise investment.