All dog’s shed. You can’t run from it, but you can make it less of an inconvenience.
If your dog has long thick fur like my German Shepherd, Lulu, you’re going to need a brush that does more than comb the top. You need a brush that rakes through the undergrowth and minimizes shedding. Most important, you need a brush that does all of this without hurting your best bud.
For me, the Oster Shedmonster is the best dog brush for German Shepherds. This is because it’s designed for dogs with short, long, or medium length fur—and what’s even more amazing—it de-sheds, de-mats and de-tangles fur in one stroke!
For more on the Oster Shedmonster and other best dog brushes for German Shepherds, check out our in-depth reviews below.
The Best Brushes for German Shepard Dogs Reviewed
Oster Shedmonster – Best Overall
The Shedmonster can reduce your dog’s shedding by up to 80 to 90 percent, regardless of if your German Shepherd has a fine/short fur or medium/long fur.
- Suitable for German Shepherds of all fur types
- Breaks up tangles and eliminates loose fur
- Its smooth edges prevent skin irritation
- Comfortable non-slip handle
There are several reasons why the Oster Shedmonster is my top pick for the best dog brush for German Shepherds. Firstly, it has a cool name that accurately depicts what it does. Second, it’s a multi-purpose tool that’s suitable for detangling your dog’s fur, de-shedding, and de-matting.
Using this brush frequently can mean fewer baths for your dog, thanks to its de-matting capability.
Did I also mention that it’s affordable, pet-friendly, and easy to use? I enjoy using it on my dog just as much as my dog enjoys it being used on her. Unless your dog is super-fussy, he/she will also enjoy the brushing experience with this product.
On the downside, you have to pull out the fur from the brush manually. This can be tedious if your dog is a heavy shedder.
- Lots of positive reviews from pet owners
- Tough stainless-steel teeth that dig deep without hurting your buddy
- Convenient no-slip handle that makes brushing convenient
- Can keep your dog’s shedding to a minimum
- Affordable product
- It might not be the best product for you if your German Shepherd has very short fur
- Unlike similar products that have a fur remove button, you have to remove fur from the Shedmonster manually
It’s a great product at a great price with great reviews. It works best if your dog has medium to long fur.
4.8 stars out of 5
The FURminator is Oster Shedmonster’s greatest competition. Like the Shedmonster, it digs deep to de-mat and untangle fur, as well as remove loose fur.
- Available in different sizes for dogs with long or short fur
- FURejector button that ejects loose fur from the brush
- Suitable for dogs that weigh more than 50 pounds
- Ergonomic handle
FURminator claims that this brush’s stainless-steel edges can reduce your dog’s shedding by 90 percent, but where it trumps the Shedmonster is it features a button release called the “FURejector.” Push this button, and any hair caught in the brush falls out, making it a very convenient grooming tool.
The brush is suitable for large dogs, and you can get it in a “long hair” or “short hair” model depending on your best friend’s fur type.
It’s an all-round winner. However, there are reports of the FURminator breaking during use. This didn’t seem to be a wide-spread complaint, but it’s worth keeping in mind. This brush is also on the expensive side.
- Comes with a free shampoo that minimizes shedding
- It removes loose undercoat hair without hurting your dog or his/her topcoat
- Available in different sizes and colors
- Comfortable rubber handle
- FURejector button for easy cleaning of the brush
- It costs more than its competitors, including the Shedmonster
- There are reports of the brush breaking during use
The FURminator is a great product with useful features, but it’s also pricey. Also, since it’s not as durable as other dog brushes, you may not want it if you have several dogs or need a brush for your grooming business.
4.7 stars out of 5
If your German Shepherd has short fur, the Hertzko Bristle Brush is the dog brush you want. It’s super-affordable and simple to use.
- Eliminates tangles
- Densely packed bristles that get rid of all types of fur dirt
- Prevent matting
- Convenient handle
With its dense bristles, you can easily remove loose hairs. It’s also great for eliminating dust, dander, and other dirt from your pet’s fur. Its gentle design also makes it ideal for if your German Shepherd is still a pup and enjoyable for both the pet and owner.
Like the Shedmonster, though, it doesn’t have a fur removal button and having to pluck out hairs from the brush can be tedious.
- Soft bristles that are great on the fur and gentle on the skin
- Comfortable anti-slip handle
- Affordable price
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Not for you if your dog has medium to long hair
- Cleaning the brush can be a hassle
The Hertzko Bristle Brush is a great buy if your dog has short fur. It’s simple to use and won’t hurt your pooch’s sensitive skin.
4.6 stars out of 5
Professional groomers love this product for its versatility. It has two sides – one side has a high teeth density that effectively detangles and de-sheds German Shepherds with thick fur. The other side has fewer teeth, which makes it ideal for sorting matted fur.
- Has two sides – one for detangling and another for de-shedding
- Comfortable handle
- Rounded edges on the comb
- Durable product
The versatility and durability of this product are what make it one of the best dog brushes for German Shepherds. Especially if you are a professional groomer. The tool is great for controlling shedding and overall grooming.
Best of all, the rounded ends of this brush mean you can groom your dog all you want without worrying about hurting your buddy’s sensitive skin. Of course, being designed for Pros, it also comes with a high-end price tag.
- It’s one brush with multiple uses
- It’s super convenient and easy to use
- Great if your dog has sensitive skin
- Durable design
- Money-back guarantee
- The price might be more than you’re willing to pay for a dog brush
This is a great product, albeit a bit pricey. At least, for the price, you know you’re getting a product that’ll serve you for years.
4.6 stars out of 5
Here’s another product from Hertzko. Unlike the earlier bristle brush, this one features fine curved wire bristles that dig deep to massage your dog’s skin and groom his/her undercoat.
- Retractable bristles for easy cleaning
- Comfort-grip and anti-slip handle
- Pet-friendly wire bristles
- Suitable for de-matting, detangling, and cleaning of all fur types
This brush is effective at dirt removal, de-matting, and de-shedding. Plus, it has retractable bristles that make cleaning the brush a breeze—and don’t worry, it works for all fur types.
My favorite thing about this brush, though, is also my least favorite thing. You have to keep your thumb on the bristle release button while brushing. When you release the button, the bristles retract. This can wreak havoc on your thumb, especially if the grooming is going to take a while.
- Retractable bristles make for easy storage and cleaning
- Suitable for German Shepherds with medium to long hair
- Comfortable anti-slip handle
- Thrills your dog by massaging the skin during grooming
- Affordable price
- Keeping the bristle release button pressed while grooming won’t be fun for your thumb
The Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush is an excellent product with an imperfect design. If you don’t mind having to keep your finger on the bristle trigger while grooming your bud, you won’t have any issues with this product.
4.4 stars out of 5
Our final pick for the best dog brush for German Shepherds dogs is the ThunderPaws De-Shedding Brush. It’s a high-grade yet affordable product that’s made of durable materials and designed to be comfortable for both you and your dog during grooming.
- Durable stainless steel 4-inch comb
- Easy-release button for cleaning
- Ergonomic non-slip rubber handle
Asides from being affordable, this product is easy to use and effective for dog grooming. It is great for de-shedding because its comb digs into the undercoat to de-matt and remove loose hairs. It’s suitable for German Shepherds of all fur lengths and is gentle on the skin.
On the other hand, the ThunderPaws might not be up to the task if your German Shepherd’s fur is really matted or tangled.
- Highly recommended by veterinarians and professional groomers
- Long-lasting and durable grooming tool
- Affordable price
- Lifetime warranty and 90-day 100 percent money-back guarantee
- Minimizes shedding by up to 90 percent
- You might struggle with this tool if your dog’s fur is really tangled
- Works best on dogs with long fur
This brush is a good option for your German Shepherd if you don’t want to pay the price for a FURminator, but you may be better off with an Oster Shedmonster.
4.5 stars out of 5
Dog Brush Buying Guide
Benefits of Brushing your German Shepherd
Grooming your dog is a great opportunity to bond, but aside from this, it helps evenly distribute the natural oils generated by your dog’s skin. The result of this is all parts of your dog’s fur will stay equally moisturized and look equally good.
Brushing also reduces the likelihood of your German Shepherd ending up with matted and tangled fur. Matted fur is unattractive to look at and makes your dog’s body a suitable hiding place for parasites.
The best dog brush for German Shepherd dogs does much more than groom your dog’s coat. If the brush has de-shedding features, it will:
- Remove excess hair from the dog’s coat, keeping your dog looking good and cool in the summer.
- Minimize how much shed hair you have to clean around the house.
How to Get the Best Dog Brush for German Shepherd
The best dog brush for you and your best friend will depend on what type of fur your dog has. A brush that’s better suited for short hair will not be effective on long fur, and vice versa.
If your dog has short fur, Consider getting the Hertzko Bristle Brush. But if your dog has medium to long fur, as most German Shepherds do, the Oster Shedmonster will definitely serve you better.
Other features to look out for if you want the best dog brush are:
You want a brush made of durable materials that’ll keep it effective for years to come.
The teeth or bristles on the brush should be either rounded or soft enough not to hurt the sensitive skin under your dog’s fur.
The brush should be worth its asking price.
Easy to clean
Getting your dog’s fur out of a regular brush can be troublesome, but some dog brushes are designed to release debris from the bristles with ease.
Handling the brush must be convenient. If not, you’ll find yourself avoiding the task of grooming your buddy
There are a variety of dog brushes to choose from for your German Shepherd, but if you want the one that delivers the best results, be sure to pick one from our above list of best dog brush for German Shepherd dogs.
Just remember that the best brush for your buddy will depend on the length and thickness of his/her fur—but since we are talking about German Shepherds, you can’t go wrong with the Oster Shedmonster. It’s ideal for the typical German Shepherd with medium to long fur, and its price offers great value.