Last Updated on by
It is natural for your kitty to go through the natural cycle of growing and shedding hair. Cats shed the dead hair from their skin about once or twice per year, mainly in early fall and spring. However, if you notice that the cat is constantly shedding, it could be a sign of poor nutrition.
Low-quality cat feeds do not just affect the cat’s digestion but are also likely to make him shed more, resulting in dandruff and unattractive coat. To help you with the problem, we selected seven best cat food for shedding in the market and reviewed them.
Keep reading to discover the perfect one that will restore the shiny and attractive coat of your furry friend.
- The Best Cat Food for Shedding Are…
- 1. Purina ONE Hairball Formula Adult Premium Dry Cat Food — First Choice
- 2. Royal Canin Feline Health for Hairballs — Runner Up
- 3. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Hairball Control Light Dry Cat Food
- 4. Blue Buffalo Indoor Hairball Control Cat Food
- 5. Purina Pro Plan FOCUS Hairball Management
- 6. AvoDerm Natural Wild by Nature Grain-Free Salmon in Salmon
- 7. Fancy Feast Classic Chicken Feast Canned Cat Food
- Understanding Shedding: When Does Shedding Become A Problem?
- How To Control Shedding In Cats
- Things To Look For When Buying Cat Food For Shedding: A Buying Guide
- Final Thoughts
The Best Cat Food for Shedding Are…
|1. Purina ONE Hairball Formula Adult Premium Dry Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|2. Royal Canin Feline Health for Hairballs||Check Current Price|
|3. Hill's Science Diet Adult Hairball Control Light Dry Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|4. Blue Buffalo Indoor Hairball Control Cat Food||Check Current Price|
|5. Purina Pro Plan FOCUS Hairball Management||Check Current Price|
|6. AvoDerm Natural Wild by Nature Grain-Free Salmon in Salmon||Check Current Price|
|7. Fancy Feast Classic Chicken Feast Canned Cat Food||Check Current Price|
This Purina ONE Hairball Formula Adult Premium Dry Cat Food one of the popular foods out there and deservedly grabs the first position on our list of the leading cat meals for shedding.
The food is prepared with chicken as the main ingredient, which helps to supply the bulk of the amino acids that your little feline needs for good health. The flavor is also excellent, and our cats could not have enough.
Every serving of this food is 34% proteins, which your feline needs to rapidly grow new cells, which comes in handy to keep all the body systems working.
The food is also enriched with essential minerals and vitamins, such as Vitamin B and Vitamin E, that help to promote strong immune systems and healthy skin in cats.
Another outstanding thing about the food is the high Omega fatty acids that work with vitamins and amino acids to promote healthy skin and shiny coat.
With 1.4% of the food being Omega fatty acids, you can expect to start seeing the difference in your cat’s fur within a short time. Our cats started improving in about one week.
- Proteins: 34% (minimum)
- Fat: 14% (minimum)
- Fiber: 4.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 12% (maximum)
- Omega fatty acids: 1.4%
- Recommended by vets for addressing shedding and minimizing hairballs
- Prepared with real chicken meat for high-quality proteins and lovely flavor
- Carefully balanced with minerals, vitamins and Omega fatty acids for healthy immune system and skin
- High fiber content helps reduce hairballs and make cat skin attractive
- Kibble crumbles easily
2. Royal Canin Feline Health for Hairballs — Runner Up
Coming very close to our first pick is this Feline Health for Hairball’s cat food from Royal Canine. The food was prepared with the three goals, helping your cat feel natural, improving its skin, and promoting overall body health.
Royal Canin excellently delivered on the three goals, and you can anticipate restoring the attractive outlook of your feline fast. You will also like the food because it can be fed to most cats that are older than one year.
The food contains an exclusive blend of omega fatty acids that are very crucial to improving your cat’s skin health and coat. The fatty acids work with minerals and vitamins to nourish the skin, giving your feline a lovely appearance.
If you really love your felines like us, the smooth appearance of the coat will always make you want to be close to them.
Taking a closer look, you will realize that the food has triangular kibbles that are meant to fit in your kitty’s mouth easily. This makes it easy to grasp, pick, eat, and prevent tartar from forming in the teeth. With this food, you are sure of having the happiest cat ever.
- Proteins: 32% (minimum)
- Fat: 13% (minimum)
- Fiber: 8.4% (maximum)
- Moisture: 8% (maximum)
- Formulated to reduce hairballs and shedding in cats
- Balanced with all nutrients to meet the nutritional needs of your furry friend
- Contains high dietary fibers for a healthy gut and skin
- Enriched with minerals that help strengthen teeth and bones
- Kibble may be too hard for older cats
When looking for the right cat food for shedding, it is also important to ensure it can provide nourishment to other systems in your feline for whole-body health. One of the top options that fit that bill is this Hill’s Science Diet Adult Hairball Control Light Dry Cat Food.
It is prepared with wholesome ingredients like savory chicken and enriched with minerals that help minimize shedding as well as maintain a healthy weight.
The food is made with natural ingredients that supply loads of proteins, antioxidants, and vitamins to support your feline’s both internally and externally.
Antioxidants and Omega fatty acids help to repair the cat’s coat, giving it a smooth and attractive appearance. In addition to supporting healthy skin, fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants help to promote healthy circulation of blood.
If your cat is overweight, the food will come in handy because it is low in calories. So, you can rely on it to power your feline’s daily routine without risking increasing the risk of being overweight.
You will also like the food because it can be fed to most cats above one year. So, grab this food, feed to your feline, and the results will be awe-inspiring.
- Protein: 32% (minimum)
- Fat: 6% (minimum)
- Fiber: 10% (maximum)
- Moisture: 10% (maximum)
- High-quality proteins and fibers help address the problem of shedding and hairballs
- Helps your cat to shed off excess weight
- Loaded with vitamins and antioxidants that strengthen the immune system
- Made from natural ingredients with no artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains corn and wheat gluten
Mention the brand Blue Buffalo and most people will tell you that is one of the best when it comes to quality, and this Indoor Hairball Control Cat Food is a testimony to that.
The food is prepared with real and deboned chicken as the first ingredient to help supply your furry friend with the amino acids it needs for good health.
The most notable thing about the food is the high-fiber content and Omega fatty acids that help to promote the healthy development of your cat’s skin and fur.
With over 2.5% of omega-6 fatty acids and 0.5% Omega-3 fatty acids, this food will stabilize your cat’s coat, prevent irregular loss, and make your feline look attractive.
We also liked the excellent balance of this food, featuring loads of essential minerals and vitamins that your cat needs for a strong immune system. In addition, the food is also enriched with taurine for good eyesight.
- Proteins: 32% (Minimum)
- Fat: 15% (minimum)
- Fiber: 6% (maximum)
- Moisture: 9% (maximum)
- Specially formulated for cats having problems with hairballs and shedding
- Contains loads of antioxidants and Omega fatty acids
- Ingredients are carefully balanced for whole-body health
- Prepared with rear deboned chicken as the first ingredient
- Does not contain by-products or artificial flavors
- May upset the tummies of some cats
- Leaves a greasy residue
Purina makes our list again with this Focus Hairball Management Cart Food, one of the top recommendations for felines with skin and fur issues. T
he food is prepared with ingredients that target two things; helping to keep your cat’s systems functioning optimally, and promoting good skin health. Most cats also love the chicken flavor and will love munching every kibble of this delicacy.
To help keep shedding down and promote healthy hair development, your cat needs high quantities of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, which this food supplies in large quantities. Furthermore, the food is enriched with omega-6 fatty acids and linoleic acid that enrich the skin structure and nourish the coat.
Because infections or toxins can cause unhealthy skin and shedding, this food is also rich in antioxidants, which work directly on the skin and indirectly by strengthening the immune system. Note that with a healthy immune system, you are sure of enjoying whole-body health.
- Proteins: 40% (minimum)
- Fats: 16% (minimum)
- Fiber: 5.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 12% (maximum)
- Carefully formulated to help cats with shedding and hairball problems
- Prepared with high-quality ingredients including real-chicken meat
- Enriched with vitamins and all the minerals that your cat needs for good health
- Contains omega fatty acids and linoleic acid for better skin nourishment
- Your cat has to take water separately
If your cat has a problem with shedding, Avoderm has a tested and reliable solution, the AvoDerm Natural Wild by Nature Grain-Free Salmon in Salmon.
It is a high-rated food meant to make your cat feel natural by satisfying its meat craving and nourishing the skin. With the primary ingredients being salmon and salmon broth, your cat will get loads of amino acids for lean muscle development.
To support the good health of the skin, skin cells development, and attractive fur, the food is enriched with a lot of omega-6 fatty acids and omega-3 fatty acids. Besides, it contains essential minerals and phytonutrients from avocados to help make the cat hair look full and attractive.
Like other AvoDerm foods, this wet meal stands out because it is enriched with a lot of essential vitamins and minerals for a healthy immune system. The taurine in the food works with essential amino acids and minerals to help promote whole-body health.
- Proteins: 13% (minimum)
- Fat: 2% (minimum)
- Fiber: 1% (maximum)
- Moisture: 82% (maximum)
- Prepared with salmon and salmon broth as the first ingredients to supply high-quality amino acids
- Enriched with loads of omega fatty acids for a healthy coat and strong skin
- Contains essential minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants needed for whole-body health
- Proteins are hydrolyzed for better hydration and urinary-tract system health
- Comes in a soupy texture
The last food to make our list of the top cat food for shedding is this Classic Chicken Feast Canned Cat Food, a premium meal that will help your feline become healthier and more attractive.
The food is prepared with chicken as the first ingredient to supply your animal friend with essential proteins and amino acids for good cells and lean muscle development. The flavor is also remarkable and most cats love it.
To make your cat’s health even better, pet nutritionists at Fancy Feast enriched the food’s proteins with fish, liver, and poultry broth. We also liked the formula because it is rich in fibers that help to promote healthy skin of your little feline, reducing the presence of hairballs, and promoting the growth of a healthy coat.
The high-fiber content will also come in handy in promoting a healthy digestive system. This is why the food has become a popular recommendation for cats with gastrointestinal issues.
- Proteins: 10% (minimum)
- Fat: 5% (minimum)
- Fiber: 1.5% (maximum)
- Moisture: 78% (maximum)
- Rich in fibers and animal proteins needed for healthy skin
- Formulated with real-chicken meat to supply your kitty with all the proteins it needs.
- Contains essential minerals and vitamins needed for whole-body health
- Contains taurine that promotes good eyesight and heart development
- Comes in easy to serve cans
- Artificial flavors
Understanding Shedding: When Does Shedding Become A Problem?
The normal shedding in most cats happens mainly once or twice every year. This takes place around the same time of the year, and it should go away in one or a few weeks as the kitty prepares for the growth of new hair.
If you notice the cat is shedding all year round, it means something is not right. Other signs of irregular shedding include constant licking, patchy coat, dull hair, and biting.
If you notice these signs of irregular shedding, make sure to talk to your vet for further diagnosis.
How To Control Shedding In Cats
If your vet checks the kitty and tells you that there is no medical issue to be concerned about, there are several things that you can do to reduce the time your feline sheds.
- Groom the kitty regularly using a grooming glove or soft bristle brush
- Feed the cat with high-protein cat foods that are carefully balanced for whole-body health, healthy skin, and shiny coat
- Make sure to bath your feline friend every two to three weeks. If your cat does not love taking a bath, you can use the grooming wipes
- Provide your cat with supplements, especially the ones that supply omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids because they help to keep cat’s skin and fur healthy
- Ensure your cat always has access to clean water for good hydration. If the cat gets dehydrated, there is a risk of suffering from dry skin and shedding regularly
- Consider taking your cat to a groomer or cut the hair short
- Use a vacuum, sticky roller, and cat hair remover to remove cat hair from the furniture
Things To Look For When Buying Cat Food For Shedding: A Buying Guide
To buy the right kitty food for shedding, it is important to start by understanding the problem. This will equip you with crucial info about the right food and taking care of your animal friend. Here is a guide on how to selecting the best food:
This will help your cat to stay healthy while avoiding problems such as extensive shedding, stomach disorders, and urinary tract issues. So, here is what to look for:
The best cat food should contain high-protein content that is sourced from animals such as chicken, bison, pork, beef, lamb, salmon, and whitefish.
No matter the animal-protein source, ensure that it is the first ingredient, or within the first three ingredients because they form the bulk of the content in the animal food.
Omega Fatty Acids and Fibers
Omega fatty acids are very important in nourishing your cat’s skin and keeping its fur healthy. So, look for the food that supplies high quantities of omega fatty acids as supplements or from sources such as sea fish, fish oil, and avocados.
Vitamins and Minerals
In addition to proteins, the food you select should also have all the vitamins and amino acids that your cat needs for a healthy immune system.
If your cat is allergic to some foods, it is likely to have implications on the skin. Therefore, try to avoid food with known allergens, such as wheat, gluten, soy, and daily. Instead, go for the foods prepared with natural ingredients such as venison and turkey.
If you notice that your cat is shedding more than anticipated, it is a sign of trouble and you should shift to the right food. In our best cat food for shedding reviews above, we have listed the top options you can get in the market.
They are made with selected ingredients that help to promote better skin health while promoting whole-body health. The foods are also made by trusted brands and have a wide price range for you to select the preferred option.
While all the seven cat food for shedding that we discussed above are the best (they sparkle in every way), our favorite was this Purina ONE Hairball Formula Adult Premium Dry Cat Food. It is prepared with high-quality ingredients and is one of the top recommendations by nutritionists and vets for shedding.